Just in time for summer, the Federal Drug Administration issues new rules that are intended to improve the way sun protection products are marketed and used.
You can save 10% on all our sunscreens now through the end of July.
FDA Issues New Rules for Sunscreen Safety
Just in time, the Federal Drug Administration has recently issued new rules that are intended to improve the way sun protection products are marketed and used.
Here are a few important points to keep in mind when purchasing and using sunscreen this summer:
- SPF only refers to protection from the sun's UVB rays. In order to prevent sunburn, premature skin aging, and skin cancer, you need broad spectrum UVB and UVA protection.
- SPF is based on testing that uses large amounts of product on the skin. In order to be effectively protected, apply more sunscreen than you may want to, and more often than you normally would.
- All sunscreens lose effectiveness when you sweat or swim. In these cases, reapply frequently.
- There is no need to purchase a sunscreen with SPF higher than 50. Rather, look for broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection and reapply frequently.
- In addition to using sunscreen with SPF 30-50 daily, you should protect your body with clothing and light-blocking hats and umbrellas
ELTAMD was among the first skincare brands to comply with these new regulations, so if you're looking for the latest in safe sun protection, we've got you covered!!!