Acne. It bothered you as a teen, and as an adult, you're experiencing those pimples again on your back, face and chest. Act on the breakout soon, says the American Academy of Dermatology, or your acne could worsen. Why not visit your dermatologist in San Antonio, TX Dr. Linda Banta? At Stone Oak Dermatology, she sees patients of all ages and skin types, helping them control their acne.
What is acne?
It's an unsightly and embarrassing skin condition affecting literally millions of Americans. The blackheads, whiteheads, papules and cysts characteristic of acne develop in the oily sebaceous glands of the skin. When these become plugged with sebum or oil, and dead skin cells, acne breaks out. Besides how bad it looks, acne can become infected and even leave scars.
How can acne be treated?
As with any medical condition, prevention helps. So, if you're prone to acne, be sure to:
- Wash your face and other affected areas with an over the counter acne scrub twice a day.
- Be gentle as you wash, using your fingertips to gently exfoliate. Never scrub hard as this only further irritates the skin.
- Avoid picking and squeezing lesions as this worsens how they look and feel and also can cause infection.
- See your dermatologist in San Antonio right away when your at-home regimen is ineffective.
At Stone Oak Dermatology, Dr. Banta will examine your skin closely to determine what course of in-office and prescription treatments may help you best. Common options include:
- Benzoyl peroxide available in various concentrations and ways of application (face clothes, creams, scrubs)
- Tretinoin, a cream, gel or topical solution which limits the growth of skin cells affected by acne symptoms
- Surgical extraction in the office (for deep cysts)
- Topical antibiotic cream and oral antibiotics
Get clear and stay clear
Call Stone Oak Dermatology for a consultation with Dr. Linda Banta. Love your skin again. Phone us at (210) 494-0504.