Hair isn't always the most appealing feature on someone's body, especially if we're referring to hair on the underarms, back, legs, and arms. Fortunately, Dr. Linda Banta of Stone Oak Dermatology in San Antonio, TX, provides her patients with a solution: laser hair removal.
More about Laser Hair Removal
Are you sick of shaving, tweezing, or waxing hair? Your dermatologist can understand the time and pain it takes to rid yourself of unwanted hair, and that's why she offers this treatment option.
The laser beams light into hair follicles. Pigments (melanin) absorbs the emitted light and converts the light energy to heat, damaging the follicles. This damage inhibits hair growth and destroys the hair when the treatment is repeated.
Prior to the treatment, avoid plucking or waxing hair about six weeks in advance since the laser targets roots. During the procedure, you'll be wearing an eye protector and a cold gel or cooling device that will ease discomfort and enable light penetrating skin.
Avoid sun exposure for about six weeks after the procedure and ask your dermatologist about pain medication if you're worried.
Benefits of Laser Hair Removal
- Laser hair removal eliminates hair from the legs, chin, back, arm, underarm, bikini line, and other areas.
- This is an efficient and precise treatment option that targets dark, coarse hairs, without damaging the surrounding skin.
- Hair removal is a fast process—each pulse takes a fraction of a second and destroys several follicles all at once, which may take up to an hour.
- Treatments are approximately six sessions in order to properly destroy hair follicles during different hair cycles.
- You can put all that waxing and tweezing behind. You'll save both time and money, and won't have to worry about those dreaded razor burns if you shave.
Consulting a Dermatologist
If you'd like to learn more about laser hair removal, then don't hesitate to speak with Dr. Linda Banta of Stone Oak Dermatology in San Antonio, TX, by giving her a call at 210-494-0504.