If you’re dealing with warts, you’re probably eager to get rid of them as quickly as possible. Common warts, flat (plane) warts, filiform warts, and plantar warts (verrucas) are some of the most common types seen at Stone Oak Dermatology. Though warts take time and consistency to treat, there are some effective options for warts that won’t go away on their own. Here’s what you need to know about stubborn wart treatment in San Antonio.
What Are the Most Effective Home Wart Treatments?
Most warts can be eliminated at home with over-the-counter treatments. These include:
- Nonprescription freezing products: These wart-freezing products typically use dimethyl ether to damage infected tissue causing warts to fall off one to two weeks after treatment. Multiple treatments may be needed for stubborn warts.
- Salicylic acid: Products containing salicylic acid in concentrations of 17% for warts in sensitive areas or 40% for plantar warts can also be an effective at-home solution. These products need to be used consistently and work best if you soak the wart and file it down with a pumice stone before application.
Because warts are a virus, it may take longer for them to go away if you have a compromised immune system. However, most patients should be able to eliminate warts after one to three months of consistent home treatments. If your warts don’t resolve in this period, you can contact a dermatologist for wart removal.
What Does a Dermatologist Do for Warts?
Dermatologists offer more potent treatments for stubborn warts, including:
- Cryotherapy (or cryosurgery): A dermatologist can freeze the wart using liquid nitrogen or nitrous oxide. You may experience sensitivity in the area as your skin heals.
- Electrosurgery (or electrocautery): This treatment removes resistant warts using heat and electricity to burn away the infected tissue. Swelling and tenderness at the treatment site are expected.
- Laser surgery: This method uses an intense light beam to destroy the wart tissue. The area will likely feel tender for a week or two.
Schedule Your Wart Removal in San Antonio
If you’re tired of ineffective home wart removal products, call 210-494-0504 to book an appointment at Stone Oak Dermatology in San Antonio, Texas. The board-certified dermatologist can recommend the most effective wart treatment for you.