As we age, the impact on our skin becomes more apparent. Thanks to recent advancements in dermatology, however, individuals now have more options available to delay the visible signs of aging. If you’re dissatisfied with the way certain age-related symptoms look on your features, laser skin resurfacing can be an option worth considering.
What Happens During Laser Skin Resurfacing?
The process of laser skin resurfacing involves the use of a laser beam to gently eliminate the outer layer of skin and warm the layers beneath. The heat encourages the production of collagen, resulting in potential improvements to the tone and texture of the skin.
Laser skin resurfacing has the ability to:
- Diminish the visibility of wrinkles, dark spots, and scars.
- Improve skin firmness
- Enhance skin tone and complexion
Typically, there are two types of laser skin resurfacing devices:
- Carbon dioxide (CO2) and erbium lasers: These lasers generate a uniform injury to the skin in the treated area.
- Fractionated CO2 lasers: These deliver a laser beam that is carefully divided into numerous microscopic treatment zones, allowing for precise targeting of specific areas of the skin. This treatment option often offers faster healing and a lower chance of side effects compared to conventional laser therapies.
What Can You Expect Following Laser Skin Resurfacing?
For most people, it may take two to three weeks to see any significant results from the treatment. You may notice the best results about 30 days after your appointment, which is when full recovery from laser skin resurfacing takes place; however, the microscopic channels in your skin may heal in two to three days.
Here are some potential suggestions for taking care of your skin following laser resurfacing:
- Protect your skin from the sun and minimize sun exposure.
- Be gentle when cleansing.
- Alleviate redness, swelling, or discomfort by applying an ice pack or a cool, wet cloth to the treated area.
- Remember to moisturize your skin daily to help with the healing process and alleviate dryness and itching.
- Steer clear of facial products that have the potential to irritate your skin, such as make-up.
Schedule a Consultation for Laser Skin Resurfacing in San Antonio, TX
At Stone Oak Dermatology, we strive to deliver exceptional care that is centered around you. We strive to ensure that you feel listened to, treated with respect, and valued as an individual. Our dedicated team, led by Dr. Linda Banta, is committed to providing exceptional care for your skin. Whether you’re seeking treatment for a skin condition or are interested in laser skin resurfacing to enhance your natural beauty, we are here to help. Contact us at 210-494-0504 to book an appointment today.